Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Words of Wisdom from Quint Studer

The following quote is from a book written for business leaders, but it can be applied just as well to coaches, parents, and educators:


Why Leaders Don't Compliment: Some Common Myths and Excuses


People really need recognition and specific feedback, and a good compliment provides both. But too many leaders resist giving them, for a variety of reasons. Ask yourself: Do I harbor any of these beliefs and attitudes about complimenting my employees?

*Big Head: "If I compliment them too much, they'll get a big head!"

*Complacency: "If I tell them they did a good job, they'll get complacent!"

*Martyrdom: "If I don't need a compliment; why should they?"

*Another Day, Another Dollar: "They should just be happy with a day's work for a day's pay - in fact, they should be grateful to have a job at all!"

*Scrooge Mentality: "I can give out only so many compliments a week!"

*Pride: "This is hokey!"

Remember, recognized behavior gets repeated. It's okay if you feel uncomfortable as you begin to compliment. Just do it... and know that it will feel more natural with time.

- Quint Studer (from "Results That Last: Hardwiring Behaviors That Will Take Your Company to the Top")

2 comments:

Faizal S. Enu said...

Boris:

I have a link from my blog to your. If you want, here is a link to mine:

http://faizalenu.blogspot.com/

Take care,

Faizal S. Enu, RKC/PBA

Boris said...

Done. Nice job on your SSST!