Saturday, November 13, 2010

LOSE 20 POUNDS IN THREE MONTHS!

So....without any plan or goal to lose weight, I get on the scale last week and realize that I've lost 20 pounds over the past 2-3 months. I'm not bragging about this - like I said, it was not a goal and, on some level, I've always wanted to be big and strong. Losing 20 pounds is not part of any plan that includes getting big or strong. On the other hand, going down a weight class for future competitions was something I've been thinking about doing, and now (assuming I don't gain it all back) it's a done deal without any conscious effort on my part.

How did I accomplish this "amazing feat of weight loss"? By being busy at work, eating inconsistently, and continuing to train regularly. Is this healthy? No. Would I recommend this method of weight-loss to anyone? NO!

BUT, there is something to be learned from my little accidental journey and it is this:


More time on task exercising and working = less time on task sitting on a couch eating.

For many overweight Americans, simply reducing time on task eating may be more than enough to create the caloric deficit necessary to lose weight.

It is absolutely true that you "cannot out-exercise a diet of pizza and donuts" but if, by exercising training volume or frequency, you spend less time eating and more time moving, then you might find yourself having to shop for a smaller size pair of pants...

7 comments:

sweaty hands said...

Wherever I go I could find one suffering from this over weight problem. I wonder if what wold be the perfect solution to escape from this problem.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Boris, this is no doubt an unexpected by product of your busy lifestyle and superior work ethic. What you're enjoying unintentionally is a goal most of us struggle with daily.

Has this loss of 20 pounds had a negitive impact on your ability to maintain the same level of strength you possessed 20 pounds heavier? Is there a cost benifit analysis?

Boris said...

I don't know Sweaty Hands - it's probably not a perfect solution for many.

Anonymous,
I'm not really enjoying it but I'm grateful that minor weight manipulation isn't a struggle for me.

I've lost some strength with heavier weights - there's always a cost. With kettlebells it's not as severe (because the weights are lighter), but I can tell w. the 32kg bells.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note about whether such a weight-loss "program" is healthy or not (I know you didn't shed the pounds deliberately, so it isn't really a program). A nutrition professor at Kansas State recently lost 27 pounds on a Twinkie diet, where he ate junk food almost exclusively, but limited himself to 1,800 daily calories (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html). Here's the weird part: other health markers -- e.g., cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. -- actually *improved*. It seems in some way that simply being lighter was beneficial, even on a bad diet. There are many, many complicating issues here and no one is suggesting we eat Twinkies all day, but it does raise interesting questions about quality vs. volume when it comes to diet and health.

Jeff said...

Boris,

I had a similar experience last semester. I was nearly 200 at Christmas time last year, about 195 a little after. I came home from college one day in March and weighed myself; I was 180.

I didn't really change my diet too much, just started focusing on my heavy lifts; heavy deads, heavy bench, heavy squat.

I should point out that I also lost some strength too; I overdid it.

Thanks for writing your blog; It's a great read!

Boris said...

Thank you Sam. You know, in a given species, the giants don't tend to be as long lived as their smaller brothers and sisters. I don't know if that always plays out, but it seems to be the case at least among dogs.

Thank you Jeff. I appreciate the feedback.

Boris said...

Thank you Sam. You know, in a given species, the giants don't tend to be as long lived as their smaller brothers and sisters. I don't know if that always plays out, but it seems to be the case at least among dogs.

Thank you Jeff. I appreciate the feedback.