Tuesday, November 12, 2013

WELL, I DID IT! (So, Why Can't You?)

If I had a nickel for every wannabe fitness guru that is a formerly obese, recovering anorexic pain sufferer, I'd be a rich man. You'd think that with all those hard miles, they'd be an empathetic bunch. Unfortunately, they are not.

"Well, I did it. So, why can't THEY?"

I can tolerate a lot, but this argument is one I can't stand. You hear it all the time to bully others who are less successful and less fortunate, though its stated purpose is to motivate.

And it IS bullying. Bullies often blame the victim and say the victim overreacts to actions that are not meant to be hurtful - that their words and actions were a natural reaction to the victim's awkward behavior ("They shouldn't act that way."), defensive in nature ("Well, they made me do it."), or even instructive and motivational ("It's for their own good! I'm just doing it so they'll change.")
"Somebody has to say it!"

"I've hit rock bottom before. They just need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get busy!" 
"Well, I wouldn't have slapped her if she hadn't provoked me."
Bullies will get pissed off when questioned and say the world is full of hyper-sensitive, politically-correct wussies who just need to learn to "deal with it". "The world is a harsh place." "The truth hurts."

Thank you so much for helping us learn those crucial lesson... Our lives are so much better now that we know...

In the S&C and fitness communities, you hear variations on the statements above ALL THE TIME.
"I have horrible genetics but look at me!" 
Translation: "Your genetics are better than mine so the only reason you're not successful must be that you are a lazy piece of sh*t!" 
"And if I can do it, anyone can." 
Translation: "I did it and anyone who chooses not to is a loser." (because all success and failure is simply a choice)
 Strength, fitness, and body composition are complex topics. Telling someone who is obese that the key to weight loss is simply to eat less is like telling a chronic-pain sufferer with no clear injury that it's "all in your head". Even it there may be some truth to the statement, it is at best a gross oversimplification.

It's November everyone - let's be thankful for what we have. To be truly grateful entails having compassion for others who may have less. Sh*t happens - sometimes good, sometimes bad; sometimes to those that are deserving and sometimes to those who are undeserving. To think otherwise is just entitlement.

No comments: